This is a 1777 map
of old Quebec City showing the Quay where the boats docked. Quebec City would have looked much the same in 1823. When the de Salaberry left the
Quay sailing for Montreal, it sailed around the corner heading for Cape
Rouge. The arrow shows the approximate area where the boat first caught fire and when the Captain steered for the shore, it hit a rock and sunk. Cape
Rouge is now part of the City of Quebec.
However, in 1823 it was about 10 miles from the Quay by land. On the river probably about the same.
This old map is not as accurate the more modern ones and therefore it is very difficult to pinpoint Cape Rouge.