B: Samuel Donald McCUTCHEON (4) (William McCutcheon-3; Samuel McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County on the 10th February 1849 and he died on the 31st August 1929. He was buried at the West Church Cemetery in Nottawasaga. He married three times, but only produced children with his first wife, Isabella McQUEEN (1848–1893) whom he married on the 11th February 1874. Her parents were Neil B McQueen and Margaret Patterson.
His second wife was Mary Anne McArthur (1854–1903) married on the 7th November 1895. His third wife was Mary Manson CURRIE (1870-1949) married on the 16th December 1908.
NOTE: This family married twice with the McQueen family: Neil McQueen’s’ sister, Flora McQueen, married Alexander McKechnie. Their daughter, Mary McKechnie, married David Armstrong. Their daughter, Flora Armstrong married David McCutcheon in 1889. David McCutcheon was brother to Samuel Donald McCutcheon. Their information is found in “C” David (1851-1941) following.
Headstone of Samuel’s first wife “Isabella McQueen” located at West Nottawasaga Presbyterian Church Cemetery (called West Church)
Obituary from “The Collingwood Bulletin” – 5th September 1929
NOTTAWASAGA SON PASSES AGED EIGHTY YEARS
Samuel McCutcheon Died on Saturday
Nottawasaga lost another of her older sons when on Saturday last, the death took place at his residence on the town line north of Singhampton, of Mr. Samuel McCutcheon, at the age of eighty years. Mr. McCutcheon had been in failing health for some months, but his illness took an acute turn only a few hours before his death.
The deceased was the oldest son of William McCutcheon and his wife Ann Smith, who came from Ireland and settled on the farm north of Creemore, now owned and worked by a younger son, Mr. David McCutcheon. As a young man, he knew what pioneering in “the bush” meant and gave the best years of his physique to make the township what is today. After helping to clear the homestead he moved to and cleared the farm on which he died, after a continuous residence of fifty-seven years.
Mr. McCutcheon was a man respected for his upright dealings, his fine neighbourliness, his devotion to his family and his loyalty to his friends. He kept well-informed on topics of the day and was keenly interested in public affairs. In politics he was a staunch Conservative and in religion a Presbyterian.
The funeral was held to West Church Cemetery on Monday afternoon when friends from far and near gathered to pay a last tribute of respect to one who had for so many years been a valued and faithful friend and neighbour.
The late Mr. McCutcheon is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Currie, four children by a former marriage, William, Mrs. Angus McDonald, Mrs. Albert Edwards of Singhampton and Mrs. Al Wallace of Calgary, Alberta. Another daughter, Mrs. Fred Zeiggle, died eight years ago. There are also twenty-nine grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Mr. David McCutcheon of Creemore and Mr. Thomas McCutcheon of Toronto are the surviving brothers.
~CHILDREN OF SAMUEL DONALD McCUTCHEON AND ISABELLA McQUEEN WERE~
- Margaret Ann McCUTCHEON (5). See i following.
- William John McCUTCHEON (5). See ii following.
- Mary Elizabeth McCUTCHEON (5). See iii following.
- Isabella McCUTCHEON (5). See iv following.
- Sarah McCUTCHEON (5). See v following.
The pictures of Samuel Donald McCutcheon’s Children following – the generation
marked “(5)” – have been found in the family archives of Marilyn BEAVEN,
daughter of Mary Alice (Maisie) Edwards. The family have generously shared these historical pictures.
MARGARET McCUTCHEON (1874-1962)
i. Margaret Ann McCUTCHEON (5) (Samuel McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; Samuel McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born in 1874 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County and she died in 1962 in Grey County, ON. She married Angus McDONALD on the 5th November 1902. He was born on the 7th March 1868 in Osprey Township and he died in 1943 in Grey County. His parents were John McDonald and Mary McFadyen.
Picture is captioned “Aunt Maggie McDonald”.
~CHILDREN OF MARGARET McCUTCHEON AND ANGUS McDONALD WERE~
- Sarah Isabella McDONALD (6) B. 5th September 1909 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 5th July 1998 in Collingwood, ON. She married Walter McMASTER (1907-1978) on the 27thJanuary 1932 in Osprey Township. Their 6 children: Donald; Gordon; Raymond Lindsay; Margaret Elizabeth; Linda Ruth.
Sarah and Walter were buried at the Maxwell Union Cemetery in Maxwell, Osprey Township.
Elsie Mary McDONALD (6) B.25 January 1911 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 26thJuly 1974. She married Albert Edward MACKEY (1909-1987) in 1937. Their 7 children: Douglas Edward; Dennis Angus; James Albert; Beverly Margaret Catherine; Dale; Bonnie Jean; Edward Cameron (1954-1954).
- Margaret Leona McDONALD (6) B. 18th October 1912 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 23rd February 1990. She married Joseph Douglas SAMPSON (1905-1984) in June 1933. Their children: Dorothy Margaret; Catherine Joan.
WILLIAM JOHN McCUTCHEON (1876-1932)
ii. William John McCUTCHEON (5) (Samuel McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; Samuel McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 22nd May 1876 and he died on the 28th November 1932 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. He married Sarah May HOLDEN on the 16th March 1922 in Collingwood, ON. She was born on the 26th October 1898 in Vespra Township, ON. Her parents were Abraham Holden and Jeanette Ormiston Weir. William was buried at West Nottawasaga Presbyterian Church (West Church).
William John McCutcheon
~CHILDREN OF WILLIAM JOHN McCUTCHEON AND SARAH MAY HOLDEN WERE~
- Samuel George McCUTCHEON (6) B. 1922. D. 2nd November 1922. Buried at West Nottawasaga Presbyterian Church (West Church).
- William David McCUTCHEON (6) B. 7th February 1925. D. 16th January 1981. William married Ruth. Their 2 children: Larry; Sharon.
MARY ELIZABETH McCUTCHEON (1879-1921)
iii. Mary Elizabeth McCUTCHEON (5) (Samuel McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; Samuel McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 22nd March 1878 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County and she died on the 20th March 1921 in Osprey Township. She married Frederick H ZEGGIL on the 18th May 1898. He was born on the 29th November 1875 in Osprey Township and he died in 1967 in Singhampton, ON. at the age of 92 years. His parents were Donald Henry Zeggil and Isabella McAllister. They were both buried at the Singhampton Union Cemetery.
NOTE: Mary Elizabeth was nick-named “Minnie” throughout her life.
Mary Elizabeth McCutcheon and Frederick Zeggil
The Collingwood Bulletin, Thursday, 7th April 1921:
DEATH OF A MOTHER AT SINGHAMPTON:
The Village of Singhampton and community was deeply grieved on March 20th when it became known that Mrs. Frederick Zeggil had succumbed to an attack of pneumonia of which she had been ill for some time. The deceased was Mary Elizabeth McCutcheon, second daughter of Samuel McCutcheon and the late Isabella McQueen. She was forty-three years of age and was married twenty-three years ago to Mr. Zeggil, who with fourteen children survives. The children are all at home except Mrs. M.P. Patterson of Seattle, Washington, who arrived home to be present at the funeral which took place on Saturday, March 26th to the [Singhampton] Union Cemetery. The service was conducted by Rev. Kenneth McLean of Stayner, assisted by Rev. A. Land and Rev. J. W. Holmes of Singhampton. The pallbearers were six cousins of the deceased, Malcolm, Keith and James McQueen, Mac McLean, John Coleman and Neil McDermid. Mrs. Albert Edwards, Mrs. Angus McDonald of Singhampton and Mrs. Stewart of Calgary are sisters and Mr. William McCutcheon of town line north is a brother all of whom were present at the funeral. Mrs. Zeggil was a very amiable and cheerful woman, always ready to see the bright side and to lend a helping hand to the neighbours. Her death is deeply mourned not only by her family, but by the people in general.
~CHILDREN OF MARY ELIZABETH McCUTCHEON AND FREDERICK H ZEGGIL WERE~
- Isabella ZEGGIL (6) B. 19th May 1899 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 8 August 1993 in Seattle, WA. She married Patrick PATTERSON. One known child; John Calgary Patterson. ☺☺
- William John ZEGGIL (6) B. 14th October 1900 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 1993. He married Marion MacGILLVERY on the 11th June 1930. ☺☺
- Margaret Emily ZEGGIL (6) B. 12th March 1902 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 24th August 1989. She married R.N. England.
- Isley Elizabeth ZEGGIL (6) B. 10th October 1903 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 18th June 1976 in Singhampton. She married Herman Elvis LOUGHEED on the 14th August 1926. Their children: Murray McCutcheon (1926); Mary Ellen (1928); James Frederick (1930); Ruby (1931-1989); Isley Elizabeth (Betty) (1932-1998); Marjorie M (1934); Victor Herman (1936); Charles Robert (1937). ♥
- Donald Samuel ZEGGIL (6) B. 6th April 1905 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 2nd March 1990. He married Fern Laura LOUGHEED (1906-1946) on the 5th May 1921 in Duntroon, Scotland. Their children: Frederick Taylor (1931); Gerald Dennis (1938); Gordon Kent (1939); Paul Roger Ernest (1940). ♥
- Flora Anna Maude ZEGGIL (6) B. 6th April 1906 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 2000 at the age of 94 years. She married Russell RUTLEDGE in 1930. Their children: Donald Edward (1936); Shirley Ann (1937); Barry Russell (1947). ☺☺
- Ivy Evelyn ZEGGIL (6) B. 4th June 1907 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 1984. She married Arnold JOYCE in October 1937. Their child: Peter (1941).
- Euphemie Ellen ZEGGIL (6) B. 26th June 1908 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. 14th May 1991 in Gravenhurst. ON. She married Richard Clarence BOWES (1907-1988) on the 16th May 1928. Their children: Richard Alan (1928); Frederick Lyle (1929-1982); Marjorie Jean (1931); Clarence John (1933); Margaret Elsie (1935).
- Nelson Frederick ZEGGIL (6) B. 6th October 1910 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, ON. D. on the 8th January 1982. He married Thelma Mary LOUGHEED (1921-?) on the 15th December 1941. Their children: Mary Elaine (1942); Margaret Joan (1944); Jack (1946); Carol Ann (1948).
- Christina ZEGGIL (6) B. 17th March 1912 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. D. 23rd March 1990. Christina married Strathcona McDONALD (1901-1982) in 1957. They were both buried at the Singhampton Union Cemetery. They had no children. This marriage was his second union.
- David Allister ZEGGIL (6) B. 31st July 1913 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. He married Olive Irene JOHNSTON in 1944. Their children: Sandra Irene (1945); Suzanne Marie (1946).
- Catherine Beatrice ZEGGIL (6) B. 4th January 1915 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. Catherine married twice. First to Frank PEACOCK in 1935. Second to Robert GROOM.
- Charlotte Alice (Dolly) ZEGGIL (6) B. 2nd January 1917 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. Charlotte married Neil William HAMMILL (1917-1993) in 1937. Their children: Georgina; William Wayne (1938); Henry (1940-1942); Neil Edward (1942); Grant (1944); Ellen Josephine (1948); Karen (1952); Phillip (1953).
- Georgina Lillian ZEGGIL (6) B. 5th September 1918 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. Georgina married Elliott CREVIER (1912-1978) in 1940. Their children: Glen Elliott (1946); Judith Ann (1949); Nancy Lynn (1952); David Paul (1955).
☺☺ Lived to be a Nonagenarian or more. 3 or more of the children of Mary Elizabeth McCutcheon and Frederick Zeggil lived to be over 90 years old, as did Fred Zeggil himself.
♥ Siblings Married Siblings: In this case, sister and brother, Isley and Donald Zeggil, married brother and sister, Herman and Fern Lougheed.
ISABELLA McCUTCHEON (1880-1964)
iv. Isabella McCUTCHEON (5) (Samuel McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; Samuel McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born in February 1880 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County and she died in 1964 in Singhampton, ON. She married Charles Albert EDWARDS on the 6th March 1904. He was born on the 16th December 1874 in Osprey Township and he died in Singhampton in 1950. They were both buried at the Singhampton Cemetery. His parents were William Edwards and Ellen Connor.
Seated are Isabella McCutcheon and Charles Albert Edwards. Standing are his brother Herbert and his wife.
~CHILDREN OF ISABELLA McCUTCHEON AND CHARLES ALBERT EDWARDS WERE~
- Irene Ellen EDWARDS (6) B. 30th September 1904 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 1st June 1957 in Georgetown, ON. She married William Todd BOOTH (1901-1964) on the 22nd February 1959. Their children: Donald Edwin Booth (1931-2006); Joan Isobelle Margaret Booth (1937-1979). Donald Booth never married. Joan Booth married Walter Norman POWELL. Their child: Deborah Joan.
- Edwin Albert EDWARDS (6) B. 10th January 1910 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 22nd September 1951. He married Edna M COCKERILL on the 5th June 1932. Their children: Isabella Ann Edwards; Charles Albert McCutcheon (Mac) Edwards Junior.
- William Gordon EDWARDS (6) B. 15th May 1908 D. May 1908 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. He was buried at the Singhampton Union Cemetery.
- Lillian Isabella EDWARDS (6) B. 10th August 1910 in Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 12th July 1983. She married William DAY (1908-?) on the 16th November 1931. Their child: Beatrice (Beattie) Isabel (13th October 1932 – 6th May 2007).
- Vera Margaret EDWARDS (6) B. 24th January 1912. D. 19th May 1974 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. Vera never married. Vera was buried at the Singhampton Union Cemetery.
- Sarah Berniece (Barney) EDWARDS (6) B. 15th March 1913 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 3rd November 1992. She married Arnold HOLDEN on the 27th May 1944. Their children: Sharon Annabelle; Kenneth Gordon; Robert David Alexander.
- Samuel McCutcheon EDWARDS (6) B. 22nd September 1915. D. 9th August 1948 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. Samuel never married. He served in World War II as a fighter pilot in the RCAF. Samuel was buried at the Singhampton Union Cemetery.
SAMUEL McCUTCHEON (MAC) EDWARDS – 1915-1948:
NEWSPAPER ARTICLE: “Hot Spot Gunner Now a War Prisoner.”
“After 19 successful raids over Germany, Sergeant Samuel McCutcheon “Mac” Edwards, 26, is now a prisoner of war, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edwards of Singhampton, have been informed. His sister, Mrs. William Day, resides on Boon Avenue.
Sergeant Samuel McCutcheon “Mac” Edwards, a member of a pathfinder squadron, was a mid-air gunner on a Lancaster. Born and raised at Singhampton, he belonged to the 48th Highlanders of Canada during 1937-1938 when he resided in Toronto. Joining the RCAF in the spring of 1940, he trained at Jarvis and McDonald [air force base] and went overseas a year ago [October 1942]…………….”
Pathfinder Squadrons were elite bomber squadrons created during World War II to locate and mark targets with flares to increase the accuracy of bombing. Then a main bomber force would aim at the target. The “Lanc” as it was affectionately dubbed, was built in Canada by Victory Aircraft Limited of Malton, Ontario. 420 Canadian Lancaster Xs were eventually built. In September 1943, the first “Lanc” was flown across the Atlantic Ocean.
Pictured is an Avro Lancaster Bomber used by Squadron 97 – which was the Squadron that Mac listed as his address on his many letters home.
Mac’s plane crashed over Nuremberg, Germany on the 11th August 1943 where he was captured and endured the hardships for 2 years as a prisoner of war, being released about V-day, which was the 7th May 1945.
Mac spent his leave time with his sister Irene’s in-laws in Balmullo, Scotland. He is pictured here with Betty Lyons, Bill Booth’s (Irene’s husband) sister at the Wallace monument. The other woman in the picture is unknown.
Mac died as a result of a heart attack.
A short service was held at the home in Singhampton on Friday and thence to the United Church where an extremely large gathering of friends and neighbors met to pay their last respects. The funeral service was conducted by Reverend A.W. downer in prayer and Reverend Taylor Munro. Hymns of choice were sung and the Male Quartet rendered the anthem “When I Have Gone the Last Mile of the Way”. Members of the Canadian Legion acted as pallbearers and conducted last rites at the gravesite.
“Until the Day Breaks and the Shadows Flee We Will Remember Him.”
Mac’s Letter from a Prisoner Of War camp in Germany.
Staglag Luft 3 Gefangenennummer: 1301
Letter from SM Edwards RCAF SGT. R85519 POW
Dated November 8th, 1943
Dear Lill and All:
(Lil was his sister living in Toronto)
Just a few words to say hello, how are you? I am fine now. Have you written to me yet? I haven’t had any mail yet but expect some soon. How are all the folks up home? Is Bert Eddie still there? Where is Bob now? My new address now is Stalag Luft 3 Lager K for letters and Stalag Luft 6 Lager K for parcels. Did Bill do any hunting this fall? Hope he got his game limit. When did you first hear from me at home? I wrote about 20th of August.
I was shot down on the 11th. The boys were all killed except George and me. George had his face cut bad and I was burned a bit. My ears are just healing now. I hurt my feet and legs when I hit. My chute was burning and it let me down hard. I’m OK again now. Did anybody send me a parcel? I had nothing but my clothes I had on when I came down. Write soon.
NOTE: This very famous prisoner of war camp called Stalag Luft III was a Luftwaffe-run POW camp for Airmen located about 100 miles south east of Berlin. It eventually housed almost 11,000 prisoners. It was at this camp that the famous World War II escape called the “Great Escape” was planned and executed. Mac Edwards was not amongst the 76 who escaped. 73 of the escapees were caught; to set an example, the Gestapo executed 39 of them. However, many more prisoners were involved in the planning and the simultaneous digging of the three tunnels, called the Tom, Dick and Harry tunnels.
- Mary Alice (Maisie) EDWARDS (6) B. 10th December 1917 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 8th August 2002. She married James BEAVEN on the 19th July 1941. Their children: James Albert; Marilyn; Barbara; Gary Russell.
- Robert EDWARDS (6) B. 4th December 1919 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 1999. He married Elizabeth McDONALD on the 18th June 1949. Their child: Beatrice (Beattie) Delsey (8th November 1949).
- David Donald EDWARDS (6) B. 28th January 1922. D. 29th July 1988 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. He married Alice A GREENWAY (1923-1988) on the 2nd February 1946. Their children: Donald James Junior; Thomas Albert; Allan Edwin.
- Neil Alexander Graham EDWARDS (6) B. 6th March 1926 in Singhampton, Osprey Township, Grey County, ON. D. 1978. Neil lived common law with Bessie H REYNOLDS (1923-1977).
SARAH McCUTCHEON (1882-1940)
v. Sarah McCUTCHEON (5) (Samuel McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; Samuel McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 16th October 1882 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. She died on the 6th October 1940 in Calgary, AB. She was buried at the Burnsland Cemetery. She married Archibald Wallace in 1915.
~CHILDREN OF SARAH McCUTCHEON AND ARCHIBALD WALLACE WERE~
- Jean WALLACE (6) B. Circa 1916. She married Gordon SPENCER and Charles Pidoux. Her one known child: Phyliss Jean Pidoux.