B: Agnes Nancy (1823-?)

B:    Agnes Nancy McCUTCHEON (4) (William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 13th August 1823 in Erin, Wellington, ON. She married Francis John WARNE (24th October 1820 – 9th September 1900) in 1845 in Erin Township. His parents were William Warne and Jennifer Miter Grace.  John died in Carmen, Manitoba.  Agnes did not.  Neither one was buried at the “Greenwood Cemetery” in Carman, MB.  It is possible that they are buried at the “Ballinafad Cemetery” in Erin, ON along with their son and her parents.

Agnes McCutcheon and Francis Warne:

Agnes, Jane, and John were the first immigrant children born in the township of Erin, Wellington County.  She married Francis John Warne in 1845. Agnes was sometimes called “Anee”. They had 9 children.  Agnes and Francis gave to their children middle names that were surnames of past ancestors.

Francis John Warne sailed from Padstow, Cornwall, England in 1842 with his brother William, first settling near St. Thomas, Ontario.  William Warne had no sons but several daughters in Ontario.  Francis was a local preacher for the Methodist Church for many years in Erin Ontario before following their son to the Rural Municipality of North Dufferin in Manitoba.  Their son, Francis Wesley, had already relocated to Carman, Manitoba to set up a mission there on behalf of the Methodist Church.

30th March 1882: Acton Free Press; page 2; columns 1 and 2.

Mr. Francis Warne having lately sold his homestead, with the intention of moving to the inviting Province of Manitoba, and the 23rd of March being fixed upon as the time for his departure, a number of his friends determined on giving him and his estimable family some expressions of the esteem in which they are held in the community at large, consequently on Monday evening of last week no less than 76 of his neighbors and friends assembled at his residence.   Among those present were many of the leading members of the Presbyterian, Congregational and Methodist Churches.  After a very sumptuous tea had been served, which was provided by his lady friends, Mr. Isaac Snyder was called to the chair and after explaining the object of the meeting, and offering a few appropriate remarks, called on Mr. W. Grant to read the address which was full of expressions of esteem, well wishes and also of tender memories covering a period of 36 years during which time Mr. Warne has been a resident of Erin.  After the reading of the address, Mr. W. Griffin came forward, and in the name of the friends, presented Mr. Warne with a beautiful silver watch valued at twenty-four dollars, and a very elegant cruet stand was presented to Mrs. Warne by Mrs. Grant as mementoes of love.  After a very touching reply by Mr. Warne a number of short addresses were delivered by Reverend G. Clark and Messrs.’ Chisholm, G. B. Kennedy, G. Beswick, J. Wanless, W. Griffin, D. Smith, W. Grant, N. Vannater, J. and R. Henderson, G. Leslie and others.  From the address it was evident that Mr. Warne and family were highly respected by all, as peaceable, kind hearted and obliging neighbors.  For many years Mr. Warne has labored as a much respected local preacher for the Methodist church.  Many present bore testimony to the great benefit they had derived from his labors.  Deep regret was expressed at the great loss which the neighborhood, the church and the Sabbath school would sustain on his removal.  Among the thousands of families moving to Manitoba there are none who are followed by more kind wishes and loving regards than Mr. Francis Warne.   — Cox.

The surname for this family is “WARNE” not Warren as some transcribes have translated the name.  Four members of this family (Francis and his wife Agnes Nancy, two of their Children, Mary Honor and James Pirritte) moved to Manitoba in 1882 to a farm near Carmen, Manitoba.  It was on this farm, that Agnes’ nephew, John McCutcheon, (her brother’s 6th child) first lived when he was 23 years old.

This is the Letters Patent, applied for on the 6th February 1889; granted on 14th February 1889.

The County Municipality Act was passed in 1877 and municipalities were organized in Manitoba.  The Rural Municipality of North Dufferin was located in the County of Dufferin in the Federal Constituency of Marquette.  The County of Dufferin comprised: the Rural Municipalities of North and South Dufferin, Carlton, Elm River.  The “North” was eventually dropped from the name of this RM.

It was to the RM of North Dufferin that the family moved to in 1882.  The population was extremely sparse, the roads were poor or non-existent, much of the area was marsh land, making travel very difficult for both man and beast.  The population in 1871 was 200. By 1881, the population had risen to 1,202. By 1886, it had more than doubled to 2,535.

Carman City was formed in 1881, then re-designated to the Village of Carman in 1900, and finally the Town of Carman in 1906.

The time of the settlement of this area coincided with the age of fanatical worldwide Christian Missionary work.  The first arrivals of this zealous group of missionaries to this area were the Roman Catholic missionaries.  The next “group” of missionaries were the Methodist missionaries, arriving in the area on the 11th  of November 1875, being the person of Reverend Daniel Pomeroy, who established  4 missions between 1875 and 1877.  Bishop Carman, the man elected to head the Methodist Episcopal Church of Canada, visited the area in 1879 and so impressed the local residents, that they named the City of Carman after him.

On the 8th August 1881, one year before Francis and Agnes arrived in this wilderness, the Methodist Episcopal Congregation bought property in the tiny settlement of Carman in the north-easterly corner of NE of ¼ Section #24, 6-4WPM from Andrew Fournier. Francis John applied for his homestead (Letters Patent pictured) on the North West of ¼ section #33, 5-4 West of the Prime Meridian. Their farm was located close to the Carman Methodist Church which was built on this site in 1891.  This was the third church in the area, the first one being a log cabin built in 1869 by the Roman Catholic Church.  The first Methodist Church was a log cabin built on Tobacco Creek in 1875 called the “Pomeroy Log Church”.  See the “INDENTURE” following signed by their son, Francis Wesley.  It in part  reads:  Manitoba, County of Marquette East, To Wit, I, F. W. Warne, minister  of the gospel, make oath and say.


  • Jennifer Miter WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William  McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 25th February 1846 and she died in 1872 in Erin, Wellington, ON. at the age of 26 years.  Jennifer never married.  She was named after her paternal grand-mother, Jennifer Miter Grace.
  • William WARNE (5).                                See i following.
  • John WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 19th February
    1850 in Erin Township, ON.
  • Hellen WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 27th January 1851 in Erin Township, ON.
  • Francis Wesley WARNE (5).                       See ii following.
  • Margaret Ann WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 28th December 1856 in Erin, Wellington, ON. She married James WHITE (1856) on the 23rd February 1887 in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, MB. When settlers claimed their land in the 1880’s, churches and ministers were not always available. Residents held services in their homes. One of the men who held such services was James white who owned a blacksmith  shop in Carman. ♥
  • Mary Honor WARNE (5) (Agnes  McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 13th October in Erin, Wellington, ON. and she died before 1900 in Carman, Manitoba.  She married her  first cousin, John A McCUTCHEON (1863-?) on the 12th December 1892  in Winnipeg, MB.  She was 31 years old, he 29 years.  John was the son of John  McCutcheon (Agnes’ only brother) and Susannah Fisher.  His information is found in Chapter 8,  Section “D”.  This couple appeared to  have no children and John remarried in 1900 to Ida McLean.
  • Luther WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 16th September 1962 in Erin, Wellington, ON.
  • James  Pirritte WARNE (5).                          See iii following.  ♥


WILLIAM WARNE (1848-1901)

i.  William WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 2nd August in 1848 and he died on the 15th December 1901 in Erin Township.  He married Rachel BROWNLEE (14th January 1850 in Scotland – 4th July 1923 in Erin, ON).  Rachel was a twin.  Rachael and her twin sister, Elizabeth, were buried at the Ballinafad Cemetery.  Her parents were Robert Brownlee and Marion Russell.


  • Francis Wesley WARNE (6) B. 24th January 1888 in Erin Township.  He married Jeanette Mable LONGSTREET (1886-?) on the 13th March 1912 in Erin, ON.  Her parents were Francis Longstreet and Christina Ismond.
  • Robert WARNE (6) B. 19th July 1890 in Erin Township.  He died in 1977.  He married Phoebe Louisa HILTS (1898-1973) on the 5th January 1921. Her Parents were Ira Hilts and Martha Ann Beswick.  Robert and Phoebe had 4 girls and 1 boy.  In 1911 Robert was living on and farming his grand-fathers homestead, Lot 7, Concession 5 in Erin Township.


ii.  Francis Wesley WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; SamuelMcCutcheon-1) was born on the 30th December 1854 inErin, Wellington, ON and he died on the 29th February 1932 in Brooklyn, New York.  He married Margarette E. JEFFRIES (1858-?) on the 15th May 1879 in Oakville, Ontario.  Her parents were Reverend Thomas Marmot Jeffries and Mary Grant. Mary Grant belonged to a famous English family who traced their roots back to John Wesley, the founding father of the Methodist religion.  Francis Wesley Warne was also named for the founder of this religion.


Francis Wesley Warne of India: The Life Story of Bishop Francis Wesley Warne:

Pictured is Bishop Francis Wesley Warne.  Note his Epworth League in. The Epworth League is a Methodist young adult association for individuals ages 18-35 tracing its back to the founding of the  Mehodist Episcopal Church formed in 1889 at Cleveland, Ohio by  combining the five young people’s organizations then in existence. The purpose of the league was to promote intelligent and vital piety among the young people of the Church.

Francis was born the middle child to an already religious family, steeped in the Wesleyan traditions brought to Canada from England.  In 1868 at the very impressionable age of 14 years, he decided to dedicate his life to spreading the word of God.  He became ordained a deacon in 1874 and then an elder in 1876.  Shortly after his marriage to Margarette Jeffries in May of 1879, the Reverend Francis Wesley Warne was sent to Manitoba, as the first resident minister to the Boyne settlement, located about 7 miles from the Pomeroy Log cabin church.  That year a small cluster of businesses and residences were being erected near the intersection of the Boyne River and the line which divides Townships 4 and 5. The line became Villiard Avenue. There was neither church nor parsonage.

Francis Warne and his newly wedded bride, Margarette, built a home for themselves near the intersection of Villiard Avenue and Walnut Street.  Francis held church services across the river at the home of Mrs. Smith (north-west of the hamlet) or the George Laidlaw home on the west side of Villiard Avenue (2 blocks south of the river).

In 1882, Reverend Finn arrived from Ontario to replace Reverend Warne who was about to leave to continue his theological studies. In 1887, the family left for Calcutta on a missionary calling that was to last for 40 years.  Both his wife and his daughter also worked as missionaries.  Their primary goal was to spread the message of Protestantism as it pertained to the Methodist doctrine.  His first position was that of pastor of the English Methodist Church in Calcutta.  He was the general secretary of the Epworth League in Calcutta and he was responsible for maintaining English schools for both boys and girls.  On the philanthropic side, he stooped to lift up some of the “submerged tenth” found in Calcutta.  The Methodist Church also ran orphanages.

On the evening of 25th September 1899, very bad landslides happened at Darjeeling, which was the location of the Methodist Darjeeling girl’s school.  One of the homes, Ida Villa, was destroyed when a massive slide came down the mountainside during an unusually heavy rain fall that season.  In the Ida Villa, several children, including 5 out of the 6 children of Mr. and Mrs. Lee, were buried alive or crushed with boulders.  At least 3 adults also died in this tragedy in this Villa. In all 310 people died in this landslide.

Francis was in Calcutta that night.  However, his wife and daughter were in Darjeeling and experienced the terrifying events that lasted for 2 days.  Edith and Margarette evacuated another house with several children, getting them to a safer place and then walked out to try and get help for the slide victims.  An account of their experience can be found in Francis’ book “THE DARJEELING DISASTER”.

Francis used the D. D. behind his name which signified that he was a Doctor of Divinity, an advanced academic degree in divinity.  In the United States, this is usually awarded as an honorary degree.  Francis eventually became a naturalized US citizen. His biography can be found in Who was Who in America, Volume 1, 1897-1942.

There are volumes written about Francis Warne, including his own prolific writing. Following, I have copied 3 different versions of his life story and made note of the source of those publications.

WARNE, FRANCIS WESLEY:  (1854-1932):

Francis Wesley Warne, American Bishop, was born in Erin, Ontario, Canada on the 30th December 1854, the son of Francis and Agnes (McCutcheon) Warne.  The elder Warne was a local Methodist preacher for sixty years. Young Francis was converted as a boy of thirteen in a revival, and one critic then complained that the meeting was a failure because it won only one lad.  He was educated at George Town Academy and Albert College and Garrett Biblical Institute (B.D. 1884).   The D.D. degree was awarded him by North-Western University (1900) and Toronto University (1924).  He married Margarette E. Jefferies on the 15th May 1879 and they had one daughter.

Deciding for the ministry at seventeen during the funeral of his elder sister [Jennifer Miter] Warne joined the Toronto conference in 1874 and was ordained in 1876. After serving circuits in Toronto, he volunteered for missionary work in the wilds of Manitoba in 1879 and established five churches in three years [This is incorrect.  He did not establish any churches in Carman, MB]. After graduating from Garrett, he was received on credentials in the Rock River Conference in 1884 and was appointed to Pullman, Illinois that year and to Austin, Illinois 1885-1887.

On hearing Bishop James M. Thoburn tell of the need for missionaries in India, Warne offered himself for service there.  He transferred to the Bengal Conference, arrived in Calcutta in January 1888 and was immediately appointed pastor of the Thoburn (English speaking) Church.  From 1890 to 1900 he served both the church and the Calcutta District.

The 1900 GENERAL CONFERENCE elected Warne and E. W. Parker missionary bishops for Southern Asia. Due to the death of Parker and the failing health of Bishop Thoburn for most of the quadrennium Warne superintended all of the work in India, Burma, Malaysia, and the Philippines.  He organized the Methodist Church in the Philippines in 1903, ordained the first Filipino Protestant minister [Nicolas Zamora], and dedicated the first Filipino Protestant Church at Pandacan near Manila.  In 1904 Warne was assigned to Lucknow.  There in North India in the next twenty years he did his greatest work, becoming the leader of the MASS MISSION MOVEMENT which won 30,000 converts a year for twenty years.  In 1924 he was assigned to Bangalore and supervised the work in South India and Burma. He retired in 1928.  Meantime, the 1920 General Conference elected him Bishop or General Superintendent of the Methodist Church.

A man of ability characterized by evangelistic zeal, Warne became an acknowledged leader in the work in Southern Asia soon after arriving in India.  As a bishop in the region he rendered distinguished service to the church. A prolific writer, some of his works were:




Bishop Frank W Warne of India; His Conversion, Call to the Ministry and Other Spiritual Experiences – 1915;





Warne was unusually active during retirement.  His platform ability, wide experience and evangelistic and missionary zeal kept him in great demand at Camp meetings, youth gatherings and retreats.  He died on the 29th February 1932 at the Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn, NY. and was buried at his own request at Ballinafad, Ontario, Canada, in the little churchyard adjoining the church where he preached his first sermon sixty years before.

Auto-Biography taken from the National Encyclopedia of American Biography – page 2454. 



He was well named Francis Wesley.  He was a worthy successor of Francis of Assisi, for what came into his hands he shared freely.  He was also a worthy successor of Francis Asbury, as zealous and abundant in his labors. When the boy matured into the man, the world vision so clearly seen by John Wesley led this second Wesley across the seas to his great life work. He was born in Canada and received his theological training in Garrett Biblical Institute.  After a short pastorate in this land, he transferred to Calcutta, where in 1889, he took over the pastorate of the great English-speaking church built up in that metropolis by the saintly Thoburn, who had just been made the first Missionary Bishop of India.  The crowd that had assembled at the call of a great prophet was thrilled and held by the appeal of this new prophet whose evangelistic fervor swept over the city so that in apostolic times “The Lord added daily to their number those that were saved”.

In 1900, when the church was seeking a successor to the failing Thoburn, is mantle once again fell on Francis Wesley WARNE.  The developing work required the constant care of two Bishops: but his associate, Parker, died without holding an annual conference; and Bishop Warne alone shouldered the burden of the Episcopal supervision of India for the guadrennium. In order to be more central to the work he moved to Lucknow in 1902; and for twenty-two years there and later four years in Bangalore, he was true to the trust reposed in him and did conscientiously the work assigned to him.  His great heart won for him the love and respect of his colleagues of all nationalities. His flaming zeal for evangelism and his surpassing gift of voice and language made him a worthy and inspiring leader.  His sympathy and appreciation of the problems of the Indian Church, and his earnest effort to meet those problems, finally wore down his great frame.  His ability to understand and interpret India to the West made him a renowned leader in the United States.

He was a constant traveller, a welcome, eagerly-expected guest. His humor was fine, inexhaustible, inspiring, contagious.  Never was he far from the sublime.  Even humor was but the prelude to a burst of eloquence or a vision of sublimity. Of one as many sided, as varied in his interest, was Bishop Warne, it is hard to write without superlatives; at the same time one is depressed with the feeling that he has not done him justice. His effective preaching, evangelistic spirit and deeply spiritual messages thrilled the entire Church in India. We shall forever remember his stalwart form, living in our midst, our own beloved Bishop; his beaming smile, winsome personality, optimistic disposition, abundant labors, spiritual fervor and his zeal to make Jesus King in our lives.

How typical of Bishop Warne was the last part of his life.   He welcomed the release from official dutiesas it gave him the evangelistic opportunity he desired.  He spent his last years in serving the Church in America in an unending evangelistic campaign. His only regret had been that he was separated from his beloved India and the co-laborers of his almost 40 years of service there.  Well did the Indian Church cry as he left its shores.  “My Father!  My Father!  The chariots of Israel and the horsemen thereof.”

All India was stirred, when on the 29th February 1932, the news of his translation was flashed to the world.  Every Methodist home in Southern Asia felt that it lost one of its own loved ones. We share with Mrs. Warne and their daughter, Mrs. Fisher, the sorrow ofhis going; and extend to them our deepest sympathy.  We congratulate them on the privilege of long years of comradeship and close association with our beloved SAINT FRANCIS OF INDIA.

Of him we say, as did Edwin M. Stanton so fittingly of Lincoln, that he is one who “belongs to the ages”.

We of Southern Asia, ask you to rise in loving appreciation of this leader.  We challenge the Church with this question, “Who follows in his train?”    Signed: Nathaniel Jordon and others.

From the JOURNAL OF THE GENERAL CONFERENCE pages 338-339; 2nd May 1932: Atlantic City, New Jersey.



Pioneer Methodist Episcopal Church workers in Manila. Photo was taken in August 1900 during the first Philippine Islands District Conference.

Top: E.W. Hearne,  J.C. Goodrich , Arthur Prautch, J. McNeil

Middle: Nicolas Zamora, Julia Wisner, Bishop Francis Warne, Mary Cody,  Don Jose Bautista

Bottom: Dr. Anna Norton, Jesse McLaughlin, Mrs. McLaughlin, Cornelia   Moots


“An apostle of wholesome holiness” perhaps best describes Bishop Warne to those who knew him.  His life was radiant with the joys of unselfish living and he will be regarded as one of the greatest spiritual leaders of our generation.  He combined his character depth and simplicity in an unusual degree, while his life exemplified in a remarkable waysome of the greatest Christian traits.

Bishop Warne was born in Erin, Ontario, Canada on the 30th December 1854.  He was converted at an unusually early age, and at eighteen, preached his first sermon at Ballinafad, Ontario.  In 1873, he started on his ministerial work, being junior preacher in the double circuits of Brampton,Georgetown, Maple, New Market and Oakville. He attended Albert College for two or three years, and in 1879 was married to Miss Marguerette E. Jeffries, who survives him, living at Toronto.

The missionary spirit soon manifested itself, and the Warne’swent to the wilds of Manitoba, Carman being the first circuit thirty milessquare in extent.  Great physical hardships were endured there, and in winter the risking of life fromstorms.  At the end of three years ofgenuine missionary work, the young preacher decided to take his theologicalcourse and entered Garrett Biblical Institute in 1882.

Pullman, Illinois was his first pastorate after his studies hadbeen completed at Evanston, and then he was appointed to Austin, Illinois wherehe served three years, until he accepted a call to India, largely through the influence of James M. Thoburn, then on the eve of his election to themissionary episcopacy.

Frank W. Warne succeeded James M. Thoburn as pastor of theCalcutta Church, and lived to become the natural successor of Bishop Thoburn in India.  His service, from his arrival in 1888 until his election to the missionary episcopacy in 1900, was given very largely to the great city of Calcutta. His pastorate of our large English-speaking Church, now known as the Thoburn Memorial Church, was one of the most notable in the annals of the Church in India.  His energies and responsibilities extended far beyond the work of the local congregation, and he soon became Methodism’s great leader in Calcutta, both as regards to the Calcutta schools and the district. During his twelve years at Calcutta the impress of his personality was on all our work in that city.

Soon after reaching India, Frank W. Warne became an acknowledged leader in the Central Conference of that field, and gave distinguished service to the work of the Methodist church in the wider field of Southern Asia.  On his election to the piscopacy, he was called to upper India on account of the illness of his newly appointed colleague, Bishop E. W. Parker, who died in June 1901, without having presided at any Annual Conference.  Meantime, the health of Bishop Thoburn had necessitated his leaving India, and for the guadrennium Bishop Warne administered to the entire work of India, Burma, Malaysia and the Philippine Islands.  It was a strain that almost broke him down. With the election of John E. Robinson and William F. Oldham to the missionary episcopacy in 1904, relief came. Upper India then fell to the lot of Bishop Warne, which great field he continued to administer until 1924.  Here he gave his most distinguished service to India, becoming the great leader in the work of the “Mass Movement”.  It was during his administration from 1904 to 1924 that Indian Methodism baptized six hundred thousand people in the villages – an average of thirty thousand a year for twenty consecutive years.  His evangelistic zeal and enthusiasm in the cause of the “mass Movement” found remarkable expression in the work of those years.  He was not only a leader, making plans and inaugurating campaigns, but a devoted evangelist himself, visiting the villages, teaching the people who had recently been baptized, and pleading with multitudes to turn to Christ.  No task was too humble and no personal discomfort too great for him, and it was his constant personal touch with the people in the movement and the workers engaged in it that enabled him to direct the great effort so wisely and successfully.

In 1924 Bishop Warne was given the Bangalore area in South India and for the next four years administered the wide-spread work of that southland.  During the guadrennium he was attacked by the disease of sprue [Coeliac Disease, Celiac Disease] in a virulent form, and had to battle it under heavy odds.  Despite this he did a spiritual work of far-reaching value in the South, especially in inspiring the Indian ministers and the missionary group. He gave himself with great energy to the task of deepening the spiritual life of the workers of the Church and met with a response and success that gladdened his heart.

In 1928 after 40 years given to India, Bishop Warne retired and took up his residence in Brooklyn, New York. Here he and Mrs. Warne lived most happily, being frequently visited by missionary and other friends.  This period of retirement proved to be one of unusual activity.  Bishop Warne’s wide experience and marked platform abilities kept him in great demand throughout the Church.  His travels and missionary addresses, sermons at camp meetings and addresses at retreats for ministers, along with devotional addresses for the Woman’s foreign missionary Society and at young people’s gatherings. Led one to feel that he never spent a guadrennium more fruitful for the Church he loved.  From September 28th until November 6th of 1928, he was absent from home on a trip that took him to the Pacific Coast and up into Canada. During these five weeks he made twenty-six public addresses which, omitting the days on the train was an average of more than one address daily.  This is an example of his strenuous labors during retirement.

Bishop Warne’s closing years were remarkable also for an unusual literary output. The Life of Lizzie Johnson, A Tribute to the Triumphant (The life of Mrs. Lois s. Parker of India), and Ideals That Have Helped Me, became a blessing to many and, incidentally, threw much light on the life and character of the writer himself.  A completed manuscript of nine chapters entitled “A Prayer-Answering Christ” is among his papers and is worthy of publication.

Bishop Warne was pre-eminently an evangelist and for this work he was highly gifted.  His own clear-cut experience of conversion led him to place great emphasis on a personal experience of God in his life.  He had a nature tender and sympathetic to all who were in need, while his brotherliness and humility made it possible for him to approach everyone in a winsome way.  His consciousness of the reality of the spiritual realm and his faith in the unseen were ever present and enabled him, in an unusual degree, to depend on spiritual means for the accomplishment of his work.  Prayer was so constant a factor in his life that it seemed easy and natural for him to turn to it on every occasion.  His unselfishness and utter forgetfulness of his own needs or comforts made his personality most attractive to all who met him.  His enthusiasm was genuine and contagious, and he put his whole soul into any task that he accepted.  Francis Wesley Warnefully deserved all the success he attained.

On the 29th February 1932, at the age of seventy-eight, Bishop Warne’s lifework was completed and he was called into the presence of his Master.  He died in Brooklyn, New York and at his own request, was buried at Ballinafad, Ontario, Canada, in the little country churchyard adjoining the church where he preached his first sermon just sixty years before. His life was happy and successful, and in his death he was honored and beloved.  The Church will remember him for he interpreted Christ to all.

Signed:  Brenton Thoburn Badley.  (Brenton Badley wrote a book about Francis W. Warne entitled:  Warne of India; The Life Story of Bishop Francis Wesley Warne. 1932.)

From the JOURNAL OF THE GENERAL CONFERENCE pages 885-888; 2nd May 1932: Atlantic City, New Jersey.


Gerona, Tarlac MEC Chapel dedication, March 1902.

 The first Methodist chapel dedicated in the Province of Tarlac (and Northern Philippines) was in Gerona.

 Thomas Martin (seated middle left) founded the congregation.

 Bishop Francis Warne (seated middle right) dedicated the chapel. 


Frank Warne talks about his early experience as a missionary:

“I was but a boy in Canada, and when the annual missionary meeting was held and the collection was about to be taken, the preacher said: ‘I want every person in the house, including boys and girls. To subscribe something, no matter how small, and two months will be given in which to pay the subscriptions.’  The collectors came down the aisle with a slip of paper, and the people wrote their names on the paper, I had never subscribed to anything, but I decided I would subscribe one dollar, and when it came to me, I took the paper and wrote my name, promising to give that amount.  I was very much excited and began at once to plan how I would earn the money.

I saved pocket money, ran errands, found eggs, and as it seemed to me, long before the time, I had my dollar ready and wished either that the collector would hurry up or that I had subscribed more.

I got so much pleasure and profit out of that subscription that I have been giving ever since and at last, I gave myself.” 

LIVERPOOL, April 13, 1892:  I arrived in London one week ago and the weather has been delightfully warm; but last night as we were nearing Liverpool, it was noticeably colder, and this morning, when I looked out of the window, I was surprised and delighted to behold a most beautiful snow storm.  The flakes filled the air and seemed to vie with each other as they rolled and tumbled in their downward race to beautify the earth.  It seemed to need a snow storm to make the trip complete.  I feel as if I had seen England.  Before, I rode from Liverpool to London, from London to Truro in Cornwall, and from there to Liverpool, via Bristol.  I enjoyed my Cornwall trip so much that I think it would be selfish not to tell a few of the things that I saw and heard.

The people there live to such great ages; my grandmother’s brother lived to 97, my grandfather died at the age of 85 and could read without glasses.  I had a long talk with a Mr. Warne of the same family. 85 years old. He has good eyesight, rosy cheeks, his hair only slightly gray, can walk out good distances and seems to remember all that has happened.  I have been thinking that if I should live as long, and were not a Methodist, the Church in Calcutta would have a good time getting rid of me……………

Another story I found current in the parish amused me.  When my father’s first letter came from America to his parents in 1844, the mail was carried from London down into Cornwall by stagecoach, and as the stage passed through the parish, the St. Issy mail was left at the inn.  It seemed to have been the custom of the inn keeper to steam the letters, open them, and know the business of the whole parish before the people. In the case of my father’s letters, he had two open at the same time, and in putting them back got them into the wrong envelopes and my grandfather, instead of getting word from his son in America, got an order for a plough, and the man who made ploughs, getting a letter purporting to be from America, and in an envelope addressed to Cornwall, thought it was a joke and tore up the letter, and my grand-parents did not hear from their son;  but the inn keeper was fairly caught and there was a ‘tamasha’”.

The old people of the parish never seemed to weary telling me what a wonderful, clever, pious woman my grand-mother was.  She was a school teacher, class leader, had weekly meetings in her house, had faith cures in answer to her prayers, took the services in the church when the minister was absent, etc., but this old man said, “your grand-mother, poor, dear old soul, bless the Lord; she was as fine a woman as you could pick up anywhere and you are just like her!’ “

Last night, when I went into the dining room, I saw Dr. Stephenson, President of the Wesleyan Conference.  I knew him from his photo and introduced myself.  Had a pleasant visit with him and was pleased to learn that a fellow passenger across the Atlantic would be Dr. Moulton, fraternal delegate to the General Conference.  I am due at New York one month and three days after leaving Calcutta.”


  • Edith May WARNE (6). B. 2nd December 1885 in Chicago, ILL. D. 2nd September 1956. Married Herbert Francis FISHER (1877- 2nd September 1956). Both Edith and Herbert died on the same day. They are buried at the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto, ON. This couple was childless.


iii.    James Pirritte WARNE (5) (Agnes McCutcheon-4; William McCutcheon-3; John McCutcheon-2; Samuel McCutcheon-1) was born on the 1st March 1865 in Erin, Wellington, ON. and he died on the 18th October 1938 in Vancouver, BC.  He married Agnes Alice WHITE (9th February 1972 – 24th July 1930) on the 14th March 1893 in the RM Dufferin, MB.  They both died in Vancouver, BC.  ♥


  • Frank WARNE (6). B. 16th  January 1894 in Carman, MB.  D. 31st  August 1959 in Halfmoon Bay, BC.  He married Helga HALVERSON (1903-1937) on the 23rd March 1923 in Smithers, BC.  Their 2 children:  Rudolph Filmore (1924 – 8th June  1944).  Rudolph was killed in action in  WW II; second son.
NOTE:   Frank’s and Rudolph’s  military history is listed in the chapter “Lest We Forget”.
  • Ferne WARNE (6). B. 26th  December 1895 in Carman, MB.  D. 18th December 1981 in Squamish, BC.  She  married Ralph Caldwell in 1929.
  • Theodore Forrest WARNE (6). B. 20th May 1901 in Carman, MB.  D. 19th October 1968 in Sechelt, BC.
  • Ernest White WARNE (6). B. 27th May 1903 in Carman, MB.  D. 13th November 1965 in Vancouver, BC.  He married Aina Aestrid Petrina Hedstom (1904-1999).
  • Filmore WARNE (6). B. April 1906 in Vancouver,  BC.
  • Unknown Male WARNE (6). B. Circa 1912 in  Vancouver, BC.

♥          Siblings married siblings.  In this circumstance, brother and sister, James Pirritte and Margaret Ann WARNE married sister and brother, Agnes Alice and James WHITE.


2 thoughts on “B: Agnes Nancy (1823-?)

  1. Rhiannon says:

    Hi. I’m not sure if the pin that FRANCIS WESLEY WARNE (1854-1932) is wearing is specific to his religion or not, I have a photo from 1822-1885 with nine men including a bishop wearing this exact pin, I was wondering if you have any information. I’ve tried to conduct my own research, and have only come by FRANCIS WESLEY WARNE (1854-1932) wearing the same pin. Thank you for your time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s