LIST OF SOURCES:
- Ulster Society.
- Ulster Genealogical and Historical Guild.
- Clan Donald Society – Edinburgh. http://www.clandonald.info/
- Sir Walter Scott`s Poem: “Lord of the Isles”:
6. Gravestone Inscriptions of County Down – 19 of 21 volumes. (Author’s Collection).
8. The McCabe List. (Author’s Collection).
9. Archives of the Winnipeg Free Press
10. County Atlases of Ontario.
11. Erin Township, County Wellington Records: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~oncerin/Wellington.htm.
12. Canadian Veterans Affairs.
13. McCutcheon Family of Erin, Wellington County, Ontario, Canada.
14. Western Canadian Land Grants: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/western-land-grants/001007-130-e.html..
15. Book Entitled “The Scottish Migration to Ulster in the Reign of King James I” by M. Percival–Maxwell. (Author’s Collection).
16. The Hamilton Manuscripts. (Author’s Collection).
17. The Montgomery Manuscripts. (Author’s Collection).
18. The MacDonnells of Antrim. (Author’s Collection).
19. James MacDonnell’s letter: 24th January 1546:
“Att Arnamurchan, the 24 day of Januar, the zeir of God ane thowsand fyef hundyr 46 zeir.
“We James M’Conaill of Dunnewaik and ye Glinnis, and aperand aeyr of ye Yllis, grantis us to ene speciall letter, deretik fra zour Lordschip to owr knyis men and alyas, thwchyng the effecte and forme of yair (their) promyssis to ye Kyng of Ynlandis Majeste, to fortyfe and suple our nobill cusyng Mathew Erie of Lenox. Quairfoir, we exort and prais your Lordschip, my Lord Deput of Yrland, with ye weill awyissit Consall of Duplyn, to schaw in owr behalf, and exprem to ye Kingis Majeste, that we are raddy, eftir our extrem power, our kinyesman and alya, namely our cusyng, Alan M’Klayn of Gyga, Clanronald, Clanechanroun, Clancayn, and owr awin sovvrname, bayth north and sowth, to tak ane pairt with ye said Erll of Lenox, or ony oder qwhat sumever, ye Kingis Majeste plaissis, to hauf autyrize or constitut be his grace, in Scotland; leilly and trewly, the oirsaid Kingis Majeste sendand pairt of power to us, in cumpany with ye said Erll of Lenox in ane honest army to ye Yll of Sanday, besyd Kintyer, at Sanct Patrikis day next to cowm, or yairby, athowe ye said maist excellent Prence giff and to us his Majestes raward and sikar, band conformand and equiwalent his Gracis band, maid to our cheyf maister Donald Lord Yllis, qhowm God asolzeit, ye quhilk deid in his Graceis serwece; yis beand acceptibill promist and admitt it, we requyre twa or thre schyppis to be send to us to ye abowven expremit place, with yeis berar Hector Donaldsone, beand ane pylayt to ye sammyn, 20 dayes or ye army cowmes, that we might be fornest and gadderit agayns ye comyng of ye said army; to quhawm plais your Lordschip geif firm credence in our behalf. And for kepyng and obserwyng of yir presente promittes, desiring siklyke formaly to be send to us with ye said schippis, we haif affixit our propir seill to the samyng, with our subscription manuall, the day, zeir, and place abowven expremit.
Signed, JAMES M’CONIL, of Dunnewaik and Glenis.”
State Papers, vol. iii., p. 548.
20. Book Entitled “Clan Donald” by Donald J MacDonald published 2008. (Author’s Collection).
THE FOLLOWING IS A CONDENSED VERSION OF THE HISTORY OF DONALD GORMSON FROM THE BOOK “CLAN DONALD” – pages 406-408:
Donald Gormson MacDonald probably attained his majority about the year 1553 when he was charged by MacKenzie of Kintail with taking timber from him. Up to this year the highlands were in a constant state of disorder as a result of the weakness in the central government. In 1554 when the Queen Dowager took over the reins of the government, she was determined to restore peace in the north. She commissioned Argyll and Huntley to proceed against all those who failed to provide sureties for their good behaviour.
This worked for the remainder of her reign, until 1560. Donald Gormson behaved himself. However, the highlanders were incorrigible and unruly.
About 1561 Donald became involved in a feud between the MacLeans of Duart and the MacDonalds of Dunnyveg. Gormson joined his kinsmen of Dunnyveg invading the MacLean’s lands of Mull, Coll and Tiree. They were successful in taking these lands as their own.
He and the other ringleaders of the MacDonalds of Sleat, his Uncle James of the Castle Camus, cousins Donald MacGilleasbuig and Angus MacDonald of Harris, suffered no serious consequences for this outrage perpetrated against the MacLeans. Queen Mary granted them remission.
In 1565 Donald Gormson quelled a rebellion against the Queen. He also adopted the new religion of the Reformation. He secured other concessions to lands adjacent to his own, if those lands fell into the hands of “rebels”. Quite a concession for his services to the government.
In Donald Gormson’s lifetime, the MacLeods of Dunvegan had been the legal owners under the more recent charters, of much of the lands belonging to Clan Ùisdein, who were in actual possession by right of those lands. So to fix this problem, in 1567, Donald Gormson entered into contract with the Earl of Argyll to attain the legal titles to his rightful lands.
This contract was dated the 4th March 1567.
Donald Gormson brought prestige and prosperity to Clan Ùisdein and the House of Sleat which had not been done since the days of the progenitor of Clan Ùisdein.
By the time he joined his cousin, Sorley Buy MacDonnell in Sorley’s campaign in Ireland in 1568, his reputation was such that he often called “Lord of the Outer Isles”.
In later disputes in his twilight years, he tried to settle disputes by the pen rather than the sword. By 1572 he received a patronage of the Bishopric of Ross along with a grant of money. In January 1572 he entered into a contract with the Bishop of the Isles concerning teinds he owed to the church charged against the lands he owned in Sleat, Trotternish and North Uist. This was one of the last recorded transactions that happened at Dun Scaith Castle.
Donald Gormson was a distinguished Chief of Sleat.
Dun Scaith Castle was soon to be abandoned by the MacDonalds of Sleat in favour of Trotternish.
NOTE: a Teind is the Scottish word for tithe, a one-tenth part of the produce of the land owed to the clergy for the maintenance of the clergy.
Donald Gormson’s son, Donald Gorm Macdonald made one known trip to Ireland in 1604. Donald Gorm had no children.
NOTE: In 1644, Donald of Moidart (a branch of Clan Ranald) upon the invitation from Antrim, took 300 of his clan to Ireland, and along with Glengarry men under Angus Og MacDonald, took part in the seizure of Belfast, Knockfergus, Coleraine and Derry. (page 317).
21. Book Entitled “Reliquiae Celticae” By Reverend Alexander Cameron LLD published 1894.
22. Ruins of Dun Scaith Castle; Under the Creative Commons Licence, the image must be credited as specified by the contributor; contributor of this photos is Peter Trant. The photo is copyrighted but also licensed for further reuse. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under a similar licence.
24. Ros Davies County Down, Northern Ireland
Ireland Family History Research Site © Rosalind Davies 2001. Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only.
25. An Illustrated History of Ireland from AD 400 to 1800 by Mary Frances Cusack. Page 323. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14754.
26. Pioneers of Old Ontario by W. L. Smith published 1923 – pages 29 – 65 (William McCutcheon 1795-1862). www.archive.org/details/pioneersont00smituoft.
27. Yesterday’s Prairie Wind – History of Gainsborough and District SK.
28. A Stake in the West – History of Carnduff and District SK.
29. Redvers 75 years live (Gies family) SK – there is a story on this family in this book. www.ourroots.ca.
30. Dusty Trails Abandoned Rails – Storthoaks Fertile Historical Society 1988 SK.
31. Assiginack History Book – A Time to Remember Ontario.
32. Craik- Friendliest Place by a Dam – SK – the Parks family. www.ourroots.ca.
33. Wheat Fields and Wild Flowers – Spirit River, AB.
34. Chepi-Sepe- Spirit River, AB.
35. Pioneers of the Peace – AB.
36. Neepawa Manitoba – Land of Plenty – 1883 -1893. (Author’s collection).
37. Endeavour Saskatchewan – History Book – SK.
38. Builders of a Great Land – Ceylon SK. www.ourroots.ca.
39. Furrow to the Future – Oxbow SK – McBride – McCutcheon. Mary McCutcheon is mentioned only briefly, the McBride family history located here. Also, pages 350-351 William Armstrong. http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=1069183
40. Yellow Grass History 1980 edition – SK – William Tanner.
41. From City to Prairie – by Warren F Sommer – Langley BC.
42. Wagon Wheels to Hardtop – Lacombe, AB. (Calgary Public Library).
43. Pioneers and – Clive, AB. (Calgary Public Library).
44. Kelwood Bridges the Years. (Author’s collection).
45. Boissevain History Committee. Beckoning Hills Revisited “Ours is a Goodly Heritage” Morton Boissevain 1881—1981. Altona: Friesen Printing, 1981. “Joseph McCutcheon”.
46. “Rolling Hills of Home, Gleanings of Rockglen and Area” published by Rockglen 50th Anniversary Committee 1978: p 198-201: information on “Samuel and Albert McKee” page 229. Other McCutcheon families not related. www.ourroots.ca.
47. Little Town in the Valley – Flaxcombe, Sask.” Davidson Family, page 267. www.ourroots.ca.
48. The River of Time – A History of Emo” pages 85-87. Charlotte Free. www.ourroots.ca.
49. History of Vaughan Township – published 1971 – www.ourroots.ca.
50. Washington, West of the Cascades; published 1917. (Author’s Collection).
51. Dufferin: The Rural Municipality of: Published 1982. (Author’s Collection).
52. Galloglass 1250-1600: Gaelic Mercenary Warrior: published 2010. (Author’s Collection).
53. GRAVEYARD INSCRIPTIONS of the Grey Abbey Grave-yard:
Page 11: Grey Abbey Graveyard, O.S.12 Grid reference S82G81: This is just outside (east) of the present Abbey grounds. It is densely packed with headstones and contains a large number of eighteenth century stones. The parish registers (Church of
Ireland) all date from 1807. Presbyterian registers date from 1875 (baptismal) and 1845 (marriage). The graveyard is very uneven with many broken stones and some lying face downwards. Several of those recorded required extensive digging before they could be read and others may be still undiscovered. In the summer the graveyard is a wilderness of nettles and other weeds. All stones with dates of death prior to 1865 have been completely copied. There are no monuments in the parish church dating prior to 1865.
There are approximately 410 headstones – graves in this graveyard. The Grey Abbey Graveyard is in chaos. The abbey ruins were never used as the general burying place for the whole parish. Burials were confined to the small space to the east bounded by the entrance to Rosemount and by the church on its rocky hill. The ruins were handed over to the Commissioners of Public Works in 1907. The ruins are now well kept. The graveyard is not.
The exceptional density of the gravestones, both standing and lying on their face, mixed with the damp and enclosed nature of the site, render maintenance difficult.
A very small number of “discovered” headstones are those of McCUTCHEONS. 9 in total. They are:
- McCUTCHAN – Here lyeth the body of John McCutchan of Ballyeury who departed this life July ye 13th 1743 aged 52 years. Also his wife Agnes McCULLY who died May ye 23rd 1760 aged 75 years. Also his son John McCUTCHAN who departed this life Siptr. 13th 1741 aged 15 years. Also, Agnes, wife of Joseph McGOWAN, who died 28th May 1910 aged 50 years. Joseph McGOWAN, Killaughey. Hugh BAILIE of Ballybrain. (Page 53).
- McCUTCHEN – Here lieth the body of Hugh McCUTCHEN who departed this life March 16th 1746 aged 69 years. (Page 53).
- McCUTCHEN – Here lyeth the body of Robert McCUTCHEN who departed this life April ye 17 1758 aged 19 years. Also here lieth the body of Hugh McCUTCHEN who departed this life February ye 22 1770 aged 64 years. (Page 54).
- McCUTCHEN – here lieth the body of John McCUTCHEN of Sloanstown who departed this life February 22 1800 aged 75 years. (Page 54).
- McCUTCHEON – Erected by Samuel McCUTCHEON of Cottown in remembrance of his wife Elizabeth McCUTCHEON who departed this life 16th March 1817 aged 65 years. Here lieth the body of Samuel McCUTCHEON 22 December 1825 aged 73 years. [There is another inscription deeply buried]. (Page 54).
- McCUTCHEON – Erected by Jane McCUTCHEON of Ballydoonan in emory of her husband John McCUTCHEON, late of Springvale, who died the 26th May 1859 aged 38 years. Also her only son Samuel who died 2nd March 1878 aged 13 years. Also her daughter Agnes McCUTCHEON who departed this life 10th January 1870 aged 11 years. Also the above named Jane McCUTCHEON who departed this life 24th July 1893 aged 74 years. (Page 54).
- McCUTCHEON – Erected by Francis McCUTCHEON, Ballyboly, in memory of his son Hugh who died 30th October 1861 aged 2 years. Also his son Samuel who died 2nd March 1878 aged 13 years. Also his daughter Lizzie who died 3rd
July 1890 aged 21 years. Also the above name Francis McCUTCHEON who died 27th October 1917 aged 86 years. Also his wife Agnes McCUTCHEON who died 1st July 1921 aged 87 years. Also his daughter Agnes McCUTCHEON who died 14th July 1921 aged 56 years. (Page 54).
- CRRE – [At the top has been added later “S. McCUTCHEON”]. Here lieth the body of Samuel CRRE who departed this life March 25 1756 aged 40 years. (Page 26).
- SHAW – There are 6 gravesites under this name in this graveyard. The one that has a McCUTCHEON inscribed reads: [Horizontal stone in SHA enclosure]. Thomas SHAW of Fishquarter born 1788, died 1858. Also his wife Mary McKEE, born 1790, died 1858. Their children: William SHAW (1810-1877). Robert SHAW (1812-1876). John Maxwell SHAW (1814-1852). Margaret SHAW (1816-1900. Married McKibbin). James SHAW (1818-1875). Sophia SHAW (1821-1901. Married POLLOCK). Mary SHAW (1822-1900. Married WOODS). Jean SHAW (1826-1904. Married McCUTCHEON). David SHAW (1828-1909). Ann SHAW (1830-1905). Thomas SHAW (1834-1919). (Page 76).
54. http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca (Heading Page for Chapter 12 William McCutcheon 1818-1891). The copyright has expired on this watercolour.
55. http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_00954#page/2/mode/2up (Heading Page for Chapter 12 William McCutcheon 1818-1891). Canadian Militia Border Songs.
56. Personal Nomenclature, History Of Monaghan For 200 Years:
Introduction: Denis Carolan Rushe B.A., T.C.D., F.R.S.A.I.
Content: Over a quarter of a century ago a paper was read, and afterwards published by the writer on the subject of our personal nomenclature. The ground had not then been much explored, and the crude attempt to arouse our people to the degradation brought on us by the habit of “Englishing” [anglicising] our names was not considered very hopeful. Since then, the Gaelic League has arisen and many works on the subject have been published, so that it is unnecessary to enter very fully into the matter, and only a few points need to be dealt with before giving a list of the changes of names of the inhabitants of County Monaghan.
In the Hearth Money Rolls [of 1867] the most numerous names are McMahon, McKenna, O’Duffy and O’Connolly. Some years earlier, the proportion of McMahon was still larger but necessity compelled to constant use of the second distinctive appellations which were generally patronymics, e.g. Patrick McAghey McMahon became Patrick McAghey or McGahey, Bryan McToal McMahon became Bryan McToal. Thus, we find how holders of the name became proportionally fewer and were replaced by McArdle, McCaghey, McToal, McRorey, McHugh, McKeown and c. Later on, when the penal laws became more stringent we find some of the higher branches of the McMahon family anglicising the name into Matthews or Ennis. There is no evidence of the McKennasanglicising their names, although many of them took the second patronymic, principally McHugh, O’Hugh and McAghey. The first two have now degenerated into Hughes. Several distinctive names were Anglicised into the same name, as will be found in the Appendixes. The Planters had in most cases Anglicised their names coming from Scotland to Ireland.
The changes in Christian names had begun before the time of the Hearth Money Roll, and a sameness had then begun to creep into nomenclature. Reverend Fr. Woulf states that in ancient times the Christian names of the Irish people amounted to close on 10,000, while we have now, not more than 100. Our ancestors seldom gave the names of saints much venerated, and instead of naming their children Patrick, Martin, Bridget, they called them Gill-Patrick (Giolla Pádraig), Gill-Martin (Giolla Martain), Gill-Breedge (Giolla Brígde). The Blessed Virgin’s name Muira (Muire) was not used but Maire (Máire) was used instead. About this period Christian names were Anglicised or Latinised. The inter-communication through trade and politics with Spain in Tudor times familiarised the Irish with the saints of that country, consequently we see Afarkin (An Farcin) and Shemus (Séamus) become Philip and James.
The first list contains the number of each surname in the County Monaghan Hearth Money Roll, and the second of each Christian name:-
McMahon-158; McKenna-121; O’Duffy–111; O’Connolly–80; McCabe–50; McWard–41; McArdle–37; McIlmartin–36; O’Byrne–35; O’ and McCallan–34; O’Kelly–34; O’Murphy–33; McNaney–32; McTreanor–30; O’ and McGowan–26; O’Boylan–23; McIlcollin–23; O’Finegan–18; O’Cassidy–18; McPhilip–18; O’Hugh–18; McGeough–17; O’Murray–17; O’Conlon–15; O’Keenan–15; McAtee –15; O’Connigan–15; McGonnell–15; McBrady–14; O’Mulligan–14; McQuaid–13; O’Cleryan–13; McCodden–13; Mc and O’Gorman–13; McCarron–12; O’Brennan–12; McEnree–12; McCarney–12; O’Daly–12; O’Coogan–12; McCumiskey–12; O’Flannigan–11; McCarvill–11; O’Quinn–11; McGuirk–11; O’Mohan–10; O’Beggin–9; O’Monaghan–9; M’Guinness–9; O’Markey-8; O’Hoone–8; McEnellow–8.
The Planters names are Johnston – 8; Smyth and Moore – 5 each; Taylor, Akison, Ferguson and Scott – 4 each; Dawson, Parr and Hamilton – 3 each.
The Christian names run as follows:
Patrick 457; Bryan 193; Hugh 149; Owen 122; Thorlogh 109; Shane 96; James 80; Philip 79; Edmund 75; Art 63; Donnough 61; Thomas 50; Cormack 45; Neil 41; William 33; Pheleme 32; Manus 32; Tague 25; Loughlin 24; Donnell 23; Henry 23; Rorey 22; Connor 22; Toale 15; Cuchonnaght 15; Daniel 15; John 13; Aedle 12; Nicholas 12; Rosse 12; Collough 11; Conn 10; Farrell 10.
The Christian names of the Planters were: John 44, Thomas 26, William 26, Robert 15, James 13, Richard12, and George 9.
There are a number of Gaelic names throughout Ireland which do not belong to any Irish clans. Prof Eoin McNeill has disclosed the meaning of their presence. After the first shock of the Norman invasion the Irish people began to rally and their chiefs hired soldiers in the Hebrides called Gallógláich (Gallowglass), foreign soldiers to fight with their bunnadha (Buonnies), permanent service men against the strangers,
which relieved them from calling out the wealthy producers of the country. The result of this rally was to drive the strangers inside the Pale and hold them between Dublin and Dundalk for many years. The names of the Gallowglass who then came and remained in the county are:
- In Tir connaill – MacSuibhne (McSweeny);
- In Tir Eoghain – MacDomhnaill (McDonnell
and McConnell); Mac Ruaidhri (McRory, Rogers); Mac Dubhghaill (McDowell, Doyle, Coyle);
- In Connacht – MacDomhnaill, MacRuaidhri and MacSuibhne;
- In Munster – MacSuibhne, MacSithigh (McSheehy, Sheehy, Shee);
- In Leinster – MacDomhnaill;
- In Oriel – MacCabha (McCabe).
The coming of the Gallowglass accounts for the large number of McCabes in County Monaghan which was part of Oriel. It is hard to account for so many O’Byrnes which is spelt O’Birne, but was pronounced Burn. It is probably they were some of the Leinster clans driven out from their territory, as a clan of O’Tooles settled in County Armagh. The name spelled McCollin was pronounced McQuillen, and McGrath was pronounced McGrah, Owen was pronounced Oyne, Shane Sha’an, Phleme Fellemy, Torlogh Thorlagh. Some northern names were converted into southern names – e.g Soraghan into Sulllivan, Skinnader into Kennedy, McAvánagh into Kavanagh, Ronaghan into Reynolds.
Most people with Anglicised names have written them so often and in such important places that the immediate change, each to the original Irish would be risky. To those who wish to restore their names it is suggested to add the Irish or Celtic form between the Christian and surname, leaving the next generation to hyphenate them and later on to use the Anglicised form as a distinctive addition. No such attempt should be made without consulting a person who has a good literary knowledge of the Irish language and local history. A careful perusal of the pamphlet “Irish Names” by Reverend J.J. McNamess, B.D., is advisable.
Where many people of the same name were in the same locality one or more second or distinctive names were added between the Christian name and the surname: some of these are patronymics and come from the locality, while others come from the appearance or quality of the owner. In modern times, since people lost their native language, they became ashamed of their distinctive appellations, and in their ignorance looked on them as nick-names. The principal are as follows:
- Aghy (Eachaidh) – a forename.
- Ballagh (Ballach) – speckled, freckled.
- Bane (Bán) – white.
- Boy (Buidhe) – Yellow.
- Duff, Due (Dubh) – Black.
- Moyle (Maol) – bald, tonsured.
- Reagh (Riabhach) – grey, light-haired.
- Mader, Moddera (Madrach, or Madardha) – surly, ill-humoured.
- Beg (Beag) – little.
- More (Mór) – big.
- Fada (Fada) – long.
- Oge( Óg) – young.
- Glass (Glas) – green.
- Roe (Ruadh) – red.
- Shan (Sean) – old.
- Fin (Fion) – fair-haired.
Amongst the legends which were encouraged for political purposes was one to the effect that the planters settled in James I’s time were a mixture of Angle-Saxons and Celts. Modern research has put an end to this theory, and has shown that the English who came over, that finding the tenure of their Irish lands was not as good as the copyholds of England which they had been accustomed to, did not make a permanent settlement, and those of them who stayed merely grazed the land, and made no improvements, and so soon as they made or lost by the cattle, left their farms and returned to England.
A few of the landowners of that period brought followers with them from England, and these remained near the homes of their lords. There were very few such in the County of Monaghan; but there were some of such settlements in Fermanagh. The town and neighbourhood of Monaghan was originally settled with English by the Blayneys, but after the fall of James II, when that family lost the Monaghan part of their estates, their English followers soon died out.
The Scotch planters who were brought over came from the region of Strathclyde, where there had been three conquests of Celts, and never a conquest of either Saxons or Normans, so that it is probable the ancestors of the Protestants and Presbyterians of this County and of most of Ulster are a mixture of Gaels, Picts and Cymric, but all pure Celts and pre-Celts. The dialect of Gaelic they spoke was the same as the inhabitants of Ulster spoke when they came, which dialect is now known as Irish. Some persons asserted that the Anglo-Ulster dialect was only a branch of “Braid Scots”; but this could not be so, as the ‘Scotch Water’ dialect, which is now called Scotch, had not penetrated as far as the west coast and Gaelic was the only language spoken in Strathclyde for a hundred years after the planters had left for Ulster.
Irish = English:
- Mac Adhaimh = Adams, Adamson, McAdam.
- Mac Ailein = MaCallan, McAlan, Allison & Ellison.
- Mac Aindreis = McAndrew, Anderson, Andrews.
- Mac Aoidh = MacKay.
- Mac Bhailter = McWalter, McWalters.
- Mac Bheathain = McBean, Benson, Beatson.
- Mac-a-Charrduidh, Mac-a-Tinkler, Mac-a-Sinnclair = Sinclair, St. Clair, Cordy & Corchy.
- Mac Maor = Stewart.
- Mac Wannon = Buchanan.
- Mac Bachal = Crozier.
- Mac Chaluim = Malcolson, Macklim, Maklim.
- Mac Coimuch = McKenzie.
- Mac Dhaibhidh = Davidson.
- Mac Dhuinn-shleibhe = Livingstone.
- Mac Eanruig = MacKendrick, Henderson, Henry.
- Mac Fearghuis = Ferguson.
- Mac Gille-dubh = Black.
- Mac Gill-sheathanaich = Shaw.
- Mac Ghriogair = Gregg, Grigory, Gregory.
- Mac Lucais = Lucas, Dunglas, Douglas.
- Mac Iain = MacKean, Johnston, Jackson.
- Mac Riobeirt = Robertson, Robinson, Roberts.
- Mac Seumais = Jamieson.
- Mac Shimidh = Simpson.
- Mac Taoig = McCaig.
- Mac Ualraig = Kennedy.
- Mac Uilleim = McWilliam, Williamson.
- Mac Uisdein = McCutcheon, Hutchinson, Millar.
- Mac Chleirich = Clarke, McCleery.
- Mac-an-Easgair = Fisher.
- Mac-an-Fhleisteir = Fletcher.
- Mac-an-Fhucadair = Walker, Fuleeton, Fullerton.
- Mac-an-Tuairneir = Turner.
- Mac-an-Toisich = MacKintosh.
- Mac Chainshroncaich = Cameron.
- Mac Chuimeinich = Cumming.
- Mac Arascainech = Erskin, Askin.
- Mac Frisealaich = Frazer.
- Mac Gordonaich = Gordon.
- Mac Rothraich = Munroe, Macrory.
- Mac Meinnearaich = Menzies.
- Mac Paidean = Patterson, Patton.
- Mac Phadruig = Patrick, Patton.
The most extraordinary of all is the number of names which have Campbell for their English equivalent. Some Scotch [sic] people claimed that the founder of the families was Camillus, a Roman general, others, that it was a nick-name derived from two Gaelic words, meaning “crooked-mouth.” But the older Campbells were McCullion and McCallum, and then many Gaels whose names were obnoxious to the English took up the name. Readers of Scott are aware of the protest of Rob Roy when they wanted to call him Master Campbell. In Ireland, McCowl and McQuillan have both been changed into Campbell.
60. Descendants of John McQueen of Islay:
61. Journal of the Thirty First Delegated General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church http://www.archive.org/stream/journalofdelegat22meth#page/n3/mode/2up
62. Light in the East: India, Malaysia, Philippines: by Bishop Thoburn and Bishop Warne: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/g/genpub/3827526.0001.001/133?rgn=full+text;view=image
63. Letter: To Thomas McCutcheon (1888-1974):
From: Mary Ellen “Ella” Hamilton, the only child of Jane Matilda McCutcheon and Richard Hamilton:
Hugh McCutcheon and Mary Stewart, the first of our ancestors in Canada, were born in County Down, Ireland. Hugh’s mother was Ann Fulton.
The Stewart farm was next to the estate of Lord Dufferin.
After Hugh and Mary were married they must have remained in Ireland for their first child, William, was born there. Some of the Stewart family came to Canada with the McCutcheons (one brother died of fever crossing the ocean and was buried at sea).
All of the Stewarts, but Mary, settled at Montreal by the English river. They were David, John, William, James, Robert, Martha (Mrs. Ritchie) and Jane. I might say that in later years, Robert [Stewart] came to Erin and spent his last days at the McCutcheon farm on the 3rd line of Erin Township. He is buried at Ballinafad Cemetery beside Hugh and Mary in the west corner of the cemetery.
The McCutcheon family who came to Canada I think settled in Adjala. I never heard of their father; he may have been dead; but their mother was with them. She was a very religious woman and in the summer would go to the woods to pray and praise the Lord in Hymns. As far as I know there were no girls in the McCutcheon family; just Hugh, William Robert; Henry.
Hugh and Mary McCutcheon came as far as Montreal where their daughter Ann was born; Thomas and Ellen were born in Cobourg; the rest – Margaret, Stewart, John, Jane and Robert – were all born at home in Erin Township.
Hugh and Mary worked hard; Mary helped log. Once two of Mary’s brothers came to see her and it was so long since she had seen them that she did not know them. Mary went to Montreal to visit her people and as there were no railroads, she rode horseback to Oakville then took the boat to Montreal. I know once Mary came back from Montreal and rode home alone on horseback. She had a big load, as her people had given her so much to take back to the bush land. She got very tired and people along the way made her stay overnight with them and rest.
Hugh died in 1861 at the age of 64 years and Mary died in 1893 at the age of 96 years. They were both born in 1797.
All of their family are gone. William died in Kansas; Ann in Erin Village; Thomas in Everton; Ellen in Erin; Margaret in British Colombia; Stewart in Erin Village; John in Big Rapids, Michigan; Robert in Neepawa, Manitoba.
NOTE ADDED IN DIFFERENT HAND PROBABLY THOMAS McCUTCHEON (1888-1974):
Sarah Smith McCutcheon’s (who married Thomas) ancestors came from Switzerland in 1600 to Germany in 1717, to Pennsylvania; then to Beamsville and Wellington County (Erin Township). NOTE: Letter from the private collection of Barbara McCutcheon.